Saturday, August 9, 2008

Who needs Target when you have the Subway?

So, as any girl knows, the best remedy to the blues is a good healthy dose of shopping. Having received my first paycheck today, I was off to buy some essentials that I have been holding out on.  Back in the states, I pretty much run to Target for anything I need, and I really miss the familiar red dot.   Settling instead for one of the millions of stores here in Seoul, my friend Mariko and I headed to a huge discount store called 2000 Outlet because I really needed to buy cute shoes for work.  If I haven't mentioned it before now, Seoul has sooo many REALLY cute shoes that are super cheap.  While we were on our way, I was distracted by one of the small shoe shops they have in the subway.  These shops are at pretty much every subway stop and they have tons of cute shoes, but I hadn't really stopped to try shoes on before today.  Wouldn't you know, I ended up buying all of my shoes (3 pairs) there? And I only paid $40 dollars for all of them! I actually ended up buying a 4th pair in another cute little subway shop, plus a ton of other things I have been needing.  It was great fun, and to think the subway has become my Target.  Things are definitely different here.  :)
In the interest of making myself feel better, we also went to lunch at Outback.  After some baby back ribs and french fries I pretty much forgot where I was.  Aside from the fact that the baby back rib lunch entree is $25, it was pretty much like being back home.  After my day of shopping, lunch at a familiar restaurant, a pedicure, and a visit to a little gem of a store called I Love Cookie (a cute little store that has imported foreign food and product), I  am feeling a bit more optimistic about being here again.  Not that I am suddenly completely at home here, but that I am more eager to welcome the coming day.  That's really all life's about - being able to greet tomorrow with a smile.   :)
 

No comments: